Taking a break from all the fun and squeeing over my book that sold, I wanted to talk about something a little less fun.
How to keep yourself moving forward creatively when the state of the world (or your personal life) make you want to curl up in a ball and never leave your bed?
I wish I had an easy answer. I certainly do not.
First of all, whatever’s got you feeling this low, your feelings are valid. Secondly, please don’t be afraid to seek help, or at least reach out to a friend or family.
But maybe it’s not depression. Maybe it’s just the mean reds, as made famous in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S
Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds. You mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you’re getting fat, and maybe it’s been raining too long. You’re just sad, that’s all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you’re afraid, and you don’t know what you’re afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?
Sound about right? Somehow, for me as a writer, I run into these mean reds often. I read an amazing book, and it throws me into a deep sulk that I’ll never be as good of a writer as that one is. Or I’ll get feedback that I don’t know how to handle, and I’ll feel like a fake writer.
Or, you know, there will be an election, and the whole world will catch on fire. That too.
Regardless of what’s got you feeling like crap, I wanted to share a couple of my favorite small things to cheer up:
- Look at old photos of good times.(also BACK UP YOUR PHOTOS. ahem.)
- Have a cup of tea. I’m not sure what it is about tea that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, but it works every time.
- Go for a walk. I was amazed to realize my saddest days are also my lowest step count days.
- Write something fun. Like fanfic.
- Treat yourself to a fancy pastry. If it’s got a French name, I bet it’s super fancy and very yummy.
- Watch a movie. I just watched LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP and found it absolutely adorable.
- Call a friend/family member/someone you’d like to be friends with.
Binge a series. May I suggest YURI ON ICE? Cutest show EVER.
So, tell me, what helps you get out of a creative bout of the mean reds?